Thomas & Friends Trivia or Fun Facts Game

582 Replies, 828975 Views

That's alright chrisjo, you can take it. I can't really think of a good question right now.
Modeling the LNER (and some Thomas stuff) in OO Scale.
This is a new version of the age-old 'guess the number of sweeties / candies in the jar'.

How many Tomy Troublesome Trucks can be packed into a box designed to hold a dozen 500ml bottles of Cwrw Teifi Best Bitter?
[-] The following 1 user Likes chrisjo's post:
  • DalaGStanator
Oh wow... I thought those questions that only those familiar with the Awdrys' books could get were too hard for us, but this sounds even more challenging.

Since I remember their chassis being thin enough to stack them inside each other, it would have to be more than just the ones at the bottom of the box.

[Image: 12-x-500ml-Bottle-Trade-Self-Delivery-Bo...g-Area.jpg]

Going by the dimensions in this image, it would be able to hold 51 trucks with the wheels touching the bottom (one row of three behind each other and two rows of 28 across). All my actual Troublesome Trucks are in my shed, so I don't recall their exact height (stacked or not) compared to the one van at my disposal.
The answer is 'Zero'....because they are "Out of Stock"
That's an 'interesting' answer, but you have failed to take into account the fact that I've got a pile of the empty boxes already.
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2020, 03:16 PM by Super.)
Well, then you must be way too tipsy to do math LOL Big Grin
(07-10-2020, 01:07 PM)DalaGStanator Wrote: ...so I don't recall their exact height (stacked or not) compared to the one van at my disposal.
The height of a Tomy Troublesome Truck is 40mm. My boxes aren't quite the same dimensions as the one you've shown, but pretty close.
  • DalaGStanator
Well, we have no way to tell the size difference with your own boxes, so let's just "assume" you were the one who provided the image with the given dimensions and follow them instead.

Surprisingly, that van just happens to be the same height with only a few additional millimetres. A truck with its wheels inside the one underneath it should be 3.5cm high including the black frames. Each space at the bottom of the box would be occupied by ten trucks up to the top, so my prediction would total at 510.
(07-10-2020, 08:17 PM)DalaGStanator Wrote: ... so my prediction would total at 510.
OK, you've suggested 10 layers with 51 trucks in each. Let's do a simple check on the figure 51 first.
Your box base area is about 29cm x 22cm = 638 sq cm. Divide this by 51 and you get 12.5 sq cm. for each truck.
Given that just the body of each truck, without considering projecting buffers or couplings, is about 8cm x 4cm = 32 sq cm., you can see that you have a problem. Dodgy
  • DalaGStanator
I have a guess, using the measurements chrisjo provided in the last post. I set my two rulers to get as close to those measurements as I could, and here are a couple of pictures (the vans are only used because I couldn't find my other trucks: the Bachmann van is only a couple of mm narrower in width).

As you can see, putting trucks lengthwise, it would fit 3 (taking couplings into account) and widthwise (that's a word, right?) It fits 5. Using the two trucks I did have to hand, the 7th truck in the stack would just have it's top sticking out by a few mm using the height of the box DalaGStanator provided.

My guess with 7 trucks stacked: 105 trucks

My guess with 6 trucks stacked (so the lid could be closed): 90 trucks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Modeling the LNER (and some Thomas stuff) in OO Scale.
[-] The following 1 user Likes TrainMan2001's post:
  • DalaGStanator