What trains have 'bogie wheels'?

7 Replies, 136 Views

I'm interested in seeing just how many Plarail products over the years have had 4-wheel bogies (in any form/configuration) instead of the standard 2-wheel axle. I know there was a version of Dr. Yellow that had them, but what else is there other than that? The reason for me asking is that I'd like to find a suitable chassis upon which to make a custom Hector, since the Trackmaster version is horribly expensive and difficult to find in a good condition. I may be wrong about this, but I also think he looks a bit too small. I expect him to be about the size of an express coach, but it seems even Thomas is longer than him, judging from what the box looks like.
[-] The following 2 users Like vampirebrat's post:
  • MrKirby48, Super
Not very common, but there are some.

First, as you have said, there's the Dr Yellow one that has a camera (discontinued).

[Image: t-i-xu-ng-1.png]

As well as the Jurrasic Park train (probably discontinued).

[Image: t-i-xu-ng-7.png]

Then, there are three train sets you can buy brand new right now if you like to, those are:

S-34 Car Transporter (bogie on the car transporter part, not the EF65 loco),

[Image: t-i-xu-ng-5.png]

S-46 EF510 Red Thunder  (bogie on the tank part, not the loco), and

[Image: t-i-xu-ng-6.png]

KF-02 Long Tank Container

[Image: t-i-xu-ng-4.png]

The hooks are combined with the bogies in the newer ones, so if that's what you're looking for then those three will be what you would buy.
Hunting Shinkansen for life (but not at all costs) :>
[-] The following 1 user Likes HanoibusGamer's post:
  • Super
seems like the back engine of the camera dr yellow is what im looking for - all the other ones look way longer than I expected
i actually really wanted that dr yellow as a kid.. a shame to hear it's discontinued...
is it considered rare now tho or is it pretty common to find secondhand?
(This post was last modified: 10-16-2024, 05:24 AM by vampirebrat.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes vampirebrat's post:
  • Super
Pretty much, I'd say so. This train is only useful with a smartphone app (which has been taken off from app stores), and the camera is crappy (in low-light conditions) so there are a few looking to be sold on Japanese sites.

Here's some on Mercari. https://jp.mercari.com/search?keyword=%E3%83%97%E3%83%A9%E3%83%AC%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AB%20%E3%82%B9%E3%83%9E%E3%83%9B%E3%81%A7%E9%81%8B%E8%BB%A2%21%20%E3%83%80%E3%83%96%E3%83%AB%E3%82%AB%E3%83%A1%E3%83%A9%20%E3%83%89%E3%82%AF%E3%82%BF%E3%83%BC%E3%82%A4%E3%82%A8%E3%83%AD%E3%83%BC

スマホで運転!ダブルカメラドクターイエロー is the Japanese name for the train set if you want to find other places that might sell the train.
[-] The following 2 users Like HanoibusGamer's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super
In this video at about the 2:00 minute mark you can see if the bogies in the Camera Dr Yellow are what you are looking for. https://youtu.be/ajUl5r3PByc?si=kNFhlyTKMncHzNqx

Personally, I think checking out the other bogied suggestions above by Hanoi would be a better option. Not only way cheaper but easily attainable even new. You then could modify the bogies to work with your custom. Let us know how your custom Hector comes out.
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • DalaGStanator, HanoibusGamer
(10-16-2024, 08:28 AM)HanoibusGamer Wrote: Pretty much, I'd say so. This train is only useful with a smartphone app (which has been taken off from app stores), and the camera is crappy (in low-light conditions) so there are a few looking to be sold on Japanese sites.

Here's some on Mercari. https://jp.mercari.com/search?keyword=%E3%83%97%E3%83%A9%E3%83%AC%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AB%20%E3%82%B9%E3%83%9E%E3%83%9B%E3%81%A7%E9%81%8B%E8%BB%A2%21%20%E3%83%80%E3%83%96%E3%83%AB%E3%82%AB%E3%83%A1%E3%83%A9%20%E3%83%89%E3%82%AF%E3%82%BF%E3%83%BC%E3%82%A4%E3%82%A8%E3%83%AD%E3%83%BC

スマホで運転!ダブルカメラドクターイエロー is the Japanese name for the train set if you want to find other places that might sell the train.

link doesnt work
Yeah just go to Mercari (jp.mercari.com) and paste the Japanese name into the search bar instead.
It seems it sells for fairly cheap on mercari! None of the current listings are cheap tho
Is there anyway to make these search results show up on US Mercari? I know they recently started letting you access Japan listings on the US site and even purchase them, but I've never used Mercari before and pasting the set's name in kanji yields 0 results, and "dr yellow plarail" doesn't come up with much either