Track and Motorised Thomas Mini's?

11 Replies, 573 Views

(10-10-2024, 01:03 AM)Super Wrote: Wow, I can't wait to see this super small motor. What voltage?

It is anything from 1.5v up to 6v, so pretty flexible, I would probably want to run it at 1.5v partly due to wanting to keep the battery as small as possible, partly as I don't want it running at full speed as it will be fast, these things can apparently suspend a small drone (well 4 of them that is) or power a 'foam' plane.  This may all end up a fools errand, but I just fancy trying it, first I'll just figure how to fit the pinion/worm and then where/how to mount it on the mini chassis and clip on a button cell in a holder and see if it runs at all.  One thing the motor may lack is torque, but a mini is pretty light so I'm hoping it will still be fine.

(10-10-2024, 10:50 AM)DalaGStanator Wrote: I happened to keep two of that type (+an even smaller one for the tail rotor) from my first RC helicopter, which I have yet to find a use for 'because' they're too small for me and most of my gears are too big to mesh with them. They could work for something like opening doors on a modern passenger train, but are otherwise underpowered and too fast even on 1.5V. Here they are next to one of my average motors for scale:
One advantage they have is they all magnetise to each other (as well as other motors), making them a bit harder to lose. Wonder how this will go for you when it arrives.

Hi Dala,

Yes, thats the type, as I said in my reply to Super I'm not sure if they'll have enough torque and of course they will likely want to run far quicker than I need, hence the pinion/worm arrangement.  But, these things are never solved in a day, I'm happy to spend a couple of £'s on components and sacrifice a duplicate mini as a test bed.  If it works then I'll be over the moon, if it doesn't because its say too fast then I'll have to figure out a better gearing arrangement.  To start though I'll try with what I've ordered and see how it goes Smile
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2024, 06:27 PM by Nigels.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super

Messages In This Thread
Track and Motorised Thomas Mini's? - by Nigels - 10-03-2024, 06:40 PM
RE: Track and Motorised Thomas Mini's? - by Super - 10-03-2024, 11:43 PM
RE: Track and Motorised Thomas Mini's? - by Super - 10-04-2024, 01:34 PM
RE: Track and Motorised Thomas Mini's? - by Super - 10-05-2024, 12:06 PM
RE: Track and Motorised Thomas Mini's? - by Super - 10-10-2024, 01:03 AM
RE: Track and Motorised Thomas Mini's? - by Nigels - 10-10-2024, 06:23 PM
RE: Track and Motorised Thomas Mini's? - by Super - 10-10-2024, 07:43 PM